Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to Get Organized this year? Well, it’s not as difficult as you think! Here are some quick & easy SMART Tips to help you:
Start with Holiday Clutter:
- Get rid of broken ornaments, floppy garland and items you haven’t used for years.
- Purchase sturdy plastic storage boxes and pack everything away. Be sure to label the boxes for easy access next year.
- Organize by “like” items; lights with lights, ornaments with ornaments, accessories, greenery, etc.
Make A Plan:
- Determine which rooms and specific areas need organizing and prioritize.
- Determine how you would like to use the space differently or more efficiently.
- Determine what type of items you need to organize the space; i.e. hangers, plastic boxes and shoe holders for closets; file boxes and notebooks for office, etc.
- Be accountable for the clutter and accountable for the organizing.
- Take action to dispose of unwanted, unused items that are just taking up space.
- Sort, store and donate. If you haven’t used it in a year, chances are you won’t. Act responsibly and toss it, sell it, or donate it and re-cycle for productivity.
Re-organize for seasons:
- Set aside an area in the garage or partially-filled closet shelves to hold seasonal items.
- Sort your items, from clothing to accessories to linens; anything you can rotate seasonally.
- Use clear plastic storage boxes for easy identification and to keep items dust free.
Timing is everything:
- Don’t try to do every room or area at the same time.
- Set aside one day a month, or one hour a day/week to organize your priority area and continue from there.
- Once organized, make an effort to keep it that way. Think how much time you saved not having to search for your things!